The Home Savings and Loan Company of Kenton, Ohio
Located at 116 East Franklin Street, Kenton, Ohio was organized under the original name Home Savings Building and Loan Company on February 6, 1888. The original site of the Company was 112 N. Detroit Street, Kenton and later moved to 116 N. Detroit Street, where the area was served for nearly 70 years. The present building location was constructed in 1965 and has expanded over the years.
In what may be a pioneer recognition of women’s ability in the business world, Miss Mary E. Walker was named Secretary and Managing Officer in 1897. She served this institution for 57 years with 50 years as managing officer. She was born in 1867 at 328 North Detroit Street, Kenton and lived her entire life there. She was a charter member of Fort McArthur Chapter of D.A.R. and was the last of her family.
In 2016, The Home Savings and Loan Company of Kenton, Ohio was rebranded to HSLC and added the tagline “Infinite Opportunities”. The rebranding reflects the many diverse products and services currently offered as well as new products and services planned for the future.
Starting with assets of $40,000 in 1888, we have continued to grow over the years with the most recent Financial Statement listing over $190 million in assets. We also have a location in Lexington, KY. Although HSLC is a state-chartered association, it joined the Federal Home Loan Bank in the 1930’s for the purpose of insuring accounts. It is examined by both The Ohio Division of Financial Institutions (ODFI) and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) supervisory personnel.
While we have not abandoned our roots of being a home mortgage lender, we have added and expanded into all types of lending and financial services. HSLC is proud to provide you with Infinite Opportunities.
History of Managing Officers
- Lewis Merriman, President 1889 – 1905
- Paul Watts, President
- Miss Mary E. Walker, Secretary and Managing Officer 1897 – 1947
- Dr. William D. Combs, President 1937 – 1940
- George W Rutledge
- W.J. Glenn, President 1944 - 1948
- Neil Ahlefeld, President
- Roy Kempsell, President 1967 - 1973
- Richard E. Main, President 1973 - 1975
- Dr. J.C. Curtis, Jr., President 1975 - 1986
- Norman D. Fleming, President 1987 - 2009
- Russell E. Berger, President/CEO 2009 - 2015
- Charles E. Dixon, President/CEO 2015 - 2019
- Chris Kurt, President/CEO 2019-2021
- Chris Jones, President/CEO 2021-Present
We’d love to hear from you
Tell us how we did